NOTE: Guest post by CUMC member Cassie Fuerst
This year Christ Church has the honor of being a host of the Memphis Cup of Nations Soccer Tournament & Family Festival. The annual tournament brings together people of different nationalities from Memphis for a day of soccer and celebration. The fun commences on Saturday, May 21 at the CBU Soccer Field, 650 E. Parkway (entrance on Central Avenue).
You have a chance to support this great event by becoming part of a Country Champion Team. A Country Champion Team is made up of 15 or so people who will come together to be a “fan club” for one of the tournament’s nation teams (for example, the Sudan Champion Team). Serving in this way will give you an opportunity to make friends you might not otherwise meet. Serve with your children, your small group, or even your Sunday school class.
Prior to game day
- Send a representative to the bracket drawing on Wednesday, May 18 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Reach out to the country’s team captain (maybe invite him to share a meal)
- Pray for the individual team members
- Learn about your team’s culture
On game day
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to opening ceremony
- Participate in opening ceremony with your country’s team
- Provide a cooler with water and drinks
- Provide additional snacks/fruits
- Move flag and cooler from game to game (three games in all)
- At least five members of your Country Champion Team should be at each game
- Serve and love your team as Jesus would
After game day
- Follow up with team captain
- Continue to foster relationships with your new friends
To learn more or sign up: 683-6887 or email