Come down Carpenter Street in Binghampton and you’ll see these words, which Paul binds together powerfully in 1 Corinthians 13:13, painted right in the middle of the street in front of a Purple House.
The furnishing of the Purple House, which was constructed by the BDC Job Training program to provide indoor space for the
Carpenter Art Garden, was supported by CUMC through 2nd Mile: Binghampton.
And on September 20, a Grand Opening Ceremony with a ribbon cutting at the front door of the new House led directly into an outdoor party at the Garden, complete with live music, grilled food, and the Beale Street Flippers.
Oh, yeah–and purple. Purple wristbands, purple t-shirts–even purple hair.
[if you’re viewing this in an email, visit blog.cumcmemphis.org to see the slide show!]
The opening of the Purple House symbolizes just how much the Garden has developed in only two years, due to the enthusiasm and work that the neighborhood has put into it.
So many great things have happened through the Garden that it would be impossible to give a proper overview here–one way to learn more is to check out the listing of media coverage at cumcmemphis.org/artgarden
One update you’ll find is that soon after the Purple House opened, the Art Garden welcomed its first full-time employee.
Megan Banaszek participated in activities at the Garden through Volunteer Odyssey, and was promptly hired to help coordinate everything happening at the Garden and Purple House with founder Erin Harris.
The Carpenter Art Garden is an amazing story of God’s blessing and love among people here in our community, and the Purple House ushers in a whole new season of opportunity.
The invitation for you is to be a part of this story.
Take a look at everything happening at the Purple House that you’re invited to be a part of:
- Tutoring elementary and middle school students:
- Monday and Wednesday, 3:30-4:30; 4:30-5:30
- Tuesday and Thursday, 5:30-6:30
- Thursday, 3:30-4:30
- Art Classes:
- Adults, Wednesdays at 1:00-3:00
- Kids, Monday at 4:00-5:30
- Reading Club & Lunch for pre-preschool age children and parents:
- Tuesdays at 10:30-noon, beginning on October 14
- Help with reading!
- Provide meals!
- Contact Rosie Harris, email@example.com or (816)260-4011
- GED Classes: The Art Garden wants to offer these soon in response to several requests! If you know about GED classes/tests and want to help, contact Megan Banaszek or (319) 981-0380.
Don’t forget about usual Art Garden activities on Tuesday afternoons, from around 3:00 to 4:00.