(NOTE: This blog post is written by Rev. Chris Carter, Assistant Director of Congregational Care. This seminar is open to all ages whether its your own questions or about your parents as they move into retirement! Come hear Linda Douty, author of How Did I Get to Be 70 When I’m 35 Inside? on Wednesday, Aug. 29, 6:15 pm, Wilson Chapel.)
“Forget Me Not” is the name of a greeting card company. It’s also the cry of every human heart, particularly our growing senior adult population. In our western world, many seniors are forgotten. We can’t afford to forget seniors! Our motto at Christ Church is “No senior left behind!” As Henri Nouwen once reminded us, “The elderly are our prophets – without the presence of old people we might forget that we too are aging.” They are our powerful teachers who tell us about the dangers as well as the possibilities in becoming old. As much as we need them, they need us too. We are called to be encouraging companions to each other along the way and living reminders that aging is part of God’s plan of fulfillment.Christ Church invites our church family and community to participate in a great conversation launching on Wednesday Night, August 29, at 6:15 pm. Together we will look at questions like:
- How old do you feel inside?
- What is your greatest joy in aging? Your greatest challenge?
- How has your image of God changed as you age? Your thoughts about life after death?
- What dreams have you buried?
- What has surprised you most about aging?
- Is there something about growing older that you’ve never said out loud?
- How have you coped with physical limitations without becoming boring or bitter?
Come join the conversation! I envision Wilson Chapel overflowing with representatives from every generation eager to walk the seasons of life together, to embrace the spiritual surprises of later life, and to experience God’s grace through it all! For more information, contact Lisa Weatherford, 901-261-2106.