Guest post by Laura Greenwell, Executive Assistant to Scott Lees
This past Sunday, August 10, was the fourth year that CUMC has held our Blessing of the Backpacks and Teacher Reception Sunday.
This year we had 60 teachers stop by!
I have been a part of this each year and I always am blessed by the spirit of these teachers. It amazes me! They have such a passion and a love for their students, co-workers and even their students’ families.
At the Reception, we asked each teacher to fill out a card where they can list prayer requests. To get a glimpse of their hearts as they begin this new academic year, here are a few requests that were submitted:
- That each child will know God’s love
- Patience, guidance, parental support, strength & stamina
- Safety, health and motivation of our children
- The division caused by the merger of our school system into Shelby County School Systems
- That each child feels special and loved and I can’t leave any behind
- My students would see Jesus in me
- Point children to Christ through my teaching
- Students to come to school each day ready to learn and with a full belly
- Pray for the families of the children I teach and the community
- LOTS of energy and vision and for ways to move my students
If you would like to volunteer to help any of these teachers, there are numerous ways you can help. You can be a prayer partner, collect supplies, after school tutor/homework helper, class sponsor, etc. We service schools all over Shelby County, both public and private.
One major way to help teachers was unveiled this past Sunday. 2nd Mile: Teachers is an easy, efficient way for the entire community to supply area teachers with the supplies they need to have a successful school year educating our kids.
Visit cumcmemphis.org/2ndmile to find out more, direct everyone to 2ndmileteachers.org to donate, and if you’re a teacher at a public school anywhere in Shelby County, you can even post your needs so that you can be supported and encouraged in your work by our community.
CUMC’s Bob Whitsitt and Jessie Teegarden recently appeared on News Channel 3’s Live at 9 to invite the community to take part:
Contact Nathan Brasfield in Serving & Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org.