Guest post by Bob Whitsitt, Former Executive Director of Serving & Outreach
This Sunday, Sept. 22, our 9:45 and Table worship services will be blessed as Senior Pastor Shane Stanford interviews our longtime friend Alfred Kalembo, National Superintendent and Bishop of the Pilgrim Wesleyan Church of Zambia and a graduate of Asbury Seminary.
In 2013-2014 Christ Church partnered with the Pilgrim Wesleyan Church to bring much needed clean water to villages in the eastern region of the country. Alfred himself said that water is life and that clean water is the key that unlocks a village’s potential. As of today:
- –37 boreholes have been drilled, supplying villages with clean water.
- –Village Water Committees have been trained in pump maintenance and overall hygiene.
- –Villages can now explore economic opportunities.
- –Pilgrim Wesleyan Church/Zambia now has relationships with government officials, headmen, chiefs and a paramount chief over a tribal group in three countries.
- –More than 30 churches have been planted among three chiefdoms.
- –A school has now been established to train local pastors in culturally relevant ministry.
Our point of contact with Pilgrim Wesleyan Church in the region is now fighting his own battle with cancer. We ask that you pray with us for our friend, Reverend Alex Mbewe.
God is good, and Christ Church has been privileged to join Him in this work.